Frequently Asked Questions
- Compared to conventional cementitious backer boards, GreenEboard™ requires less than half the energy to produce, making a much lower carbon impact on the environment.
- GreenEboard™ weighs less than conventional backer boards, meaning more material can be shipped per truckload, again lowering the carbon footprint.
- 100% of the post-industrial waste in the GreenEboard™ plant is recycled into future production runs, reducing landfill impact. External recycled content is also added. The total of post-industrial recycled content is certified at 30%. LEED credits accept 50% of post-industrial waste, making the LEED content 15%.
- GreenEboard™ contains no harmful ingredients such as VOCs, formaldehyde, asbestos, or silica dust, and it will not grow mold or mildew. It contributes to a healthier indoor environment.
- GreenEboard™ contains no ingredients that are harmful to the planet when it is disposed of. The natural materials in GreenEboard™ scraps are completely inert
GreenEboard™ has been submitted in LEED project documents for contribution to the following LEED credits:
MR 4.1 Recycled Content.
GreenEboard™ contains a total of 15% recycled materials by LEED formula. 0% is post-consumer, 3% is pre-consumer from outside sources, and 27% is recycled post-manufacture from within the manufacturing process. 3% + 27% = 30% post-industrial. 50% of post-industrial recycled content for LEED purposes is 15% of total material content by volume, and by value.
MR 2.1 or 2.2 Construction Waste Management
Reduction of waste materials (2.1 = 50% reduction, 2.2= 75% reduction)
GreenEboard™ has no toxic components. (SEE MSDS)[hotlink to MSDS download]. The PH of ground-up GreenEboard™ is between 8.0 and 9.0. This allows it to be used as a soil conditioner. It may be used to improve an acid soil on site or off site. GreenEboard™ scraps are accepted at recycling centers that recycle building materials.
Minimum EQ contribution EQ 3.1 Construction Plan for Low-Emitting materials
GreenEboard™ contains no silica, no formaldehyde, no asbestos, and is rated under ASTM D3273 as non-nutrient for mold and fungus. It is not harmful for installers, and contributes no harmful substances to the environment.
NAHB GreenBuild® credits
GreenEboard™ has been used in an award winning NAHB GreenBuild® home. GreenEboard™ may be included in GreenBuild® credits for recycling and recycled content and for innovation in materials.
What face goes up.
Install GreenEboard™ with the rough side exposed for installation of tile on countertops,walls, and floors. Install GreenEboard™ with the smooth side exposed as an underlayment for cork, vct tiles, etc. GreenEboard™ should not be installed under sheet vinyl goods. Check with the manufacturer of the finish floor materials to be sure they are compatible with cementitious underlayments.
Download the GreenEboard™ technical guide (pdf) for complete tile installation instructions.
Dust created by cutting and installation of any construction material can be an irritant to mucous membranes and eyes. Always wear proper safety accessories when installing GreenEboard™.
GreenEboard™ contains no harmful ingredients such as VOCs, formaldehyde, asbestos, or silica dust, and it will not grow mold or mildew. It contributes to a healthier indoor environment.
GreenEboard™ contains no ingredients that are harmful to the planet when it is disposed of. The natural materials in GreenEboard™ scraps are completely inert.
GreenEboard™ has been successfully used as a replacement for drywall in homes for individuals with MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) and those seeking an installation that “breathes”. When installing GreenEboard™ as a wallboard, seal the board with a non-toxic penetrating sealer before filling and coating the joints. Fill the joints between boards with non-shrinking, quick drying filling cement. Users report that paper joint tape works better than mesh tape for avoiding hairline cracks.
If using earth or lime plasters, test a sealed area of GreenEboard™ for compatibility before proceeding with a complete installation. Do not apply wet plasters to unsealed GreenEboard™. GreenEboard™ is non-combustible and produces no flame or smoke when exposed to fire. (see the GreenEboard™ technical guide for test results) GreenEboard™ does not have “fire ratings” for commercial installations. Check local building codes to ensure compliance before installing GreenEboard™.
GreenEboard is available throughout the United States and Canada.contact us and we will be happy to provide a distributor in your area.